Thursday, 6 July 2017

First Blood

My friend and I managed to get in our first game over the weekend, only a small 1,000 point game and with lots of mistakes :)

The new system is very fun to play, very fluid while being very familiar. hte new 'to wound' table is pretty much like the old one, but it has far less values resulting in pretty much the same results as the last one. Always being able to wound on a 6 makes sure everything is on an even footing, presumable representing a knife to the eye or something lucky. It also removes effective invincibility from some units, and allows the 'underdog' to always have a fighting chance.

Tactically, lots of mistakes were made including but not limited to:
-Only using one round of shooting with shuricannon jetbiked before tring to tie upa unit of chaos spawn. These guys should be hard to catch whilst throwing out 3 shots a piece...
-Striking scorpions popping up from the shadows too early and not really doing anything good :(
- Waveserpent was clogged up in combat after disgorging fire dragons, effectively wasting three cannons :(

We each made a few mistakes with the new rules like damage being after failed saves, rather than generating more armour saves. Falling back/out of combat is something that wasn't used at all really but could have been pretty handy for me at least.

MVP by far was the mounted Autarch. Laser Lances on the charge are pretty terrifying!..

All in all, a lot of fun and I look forward to tweaking my list and trying again against those Thousand Sons :)

I have another game tonight against a different friend, one whom I've faced before with Exodites, from 6th edition I believe. This time though, I've swapped out Striking Scorpions for Howling Banshees, although I'm now not sure that the power swords are worth losing the strength from attacks of Striking Scorpions... Lets's see :)

I also have a lot of irons in the fire conversions/ideas wise so if/when I get time in the next few weeks I will hopefully be able to post something interesting.
Not only is it birthday season, but I'm also far more heavily involved with a theatre production than I had originally planned/volunteered for so it's taking up a lot of time as well.

That's all for now, hopefully more soon!
Lofty

No comments:

Post a Comment