Sunday, 25 May 2014

When Life Gets In The Way

I had every intention last week of posting new tagged posts 'Monday musings' and 'Weekly/WednesdayWIP'. Sadly, with many and varied issues with the house, drainage leaks, boiler issues, cats and, to be honest, actual painting progress, I'm only just sitting down to hopefully cover both bases.


Let's start with progress!
Most recently, I decided to attempt the sword on my Avatar. I wanted to try the 'classic' force weapon glow type look, made so popular here except by brush, not airbrush, as I wasn't at all confident in being able to replicate the effect, after I struggled with simple gradient on the Farseer sword (paint spattering, I suspect due to the nozzle cap having paint collected in it?..) Ironically, I happened on a method for this in a GW video as their how to paint videos are pretty good!



Anyhow, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out, even though the picture does it no justice ;)
The brown areas are under coated for gold/bronze.


I've also pretty much finished up the Striking Scorpions which I recently had to buy a wash especially for.



Again, the photography isn't great, but it's with the camera on my phone, and in shoddy light. I seem to have a thing about watering down washes which leaves the contrast between washed basecoat and 'first highight' basecoat rather slim... This is something which is glaringly apparent on these models and something I need to stop doing as it makes it all rather pointless. After watching this video I can see the benefit of the wash as a shade of the base, and then bringing the base back up to it's original colour. I'm improving all the time still though, and what better way to do it than practically :) (I get a lot of inspiration on YouTube it seems - a sign of an isolated hobbyist?) I am please with how these models are working out though, and will be finishing them up this week.

I fully intend to create a decent light box set up at some point, and try to resurrect my old digital camera/tripod to see if that's any better. Seems a shame to grab quick snaps of these models which I spend days in total painting

I'll try and keep the rest of the post brief, and post again on Monday (oh, is that tomorrow already?!) Maybe Wednesday then as I'm off work for a dentists appointment...

My next thing to get done is stripping and repainting Fire Dragons after stumbling across this amazing example on good old Google images. So I've bought a red brown, and started testing on a spare guardian model. I'll get the mopdels soaking in Dettol at some point tomorrow probably and then re-based etc ready to start painting on Wednesday :)

After they are done (which I predict to be quite quickly) I want to make a real push towards getting mounted figures done, as they are what the army is all about really :)

That's where I'll leave it for now, so as to not rattle on too much and lose focus. Coming in the next post though is:

DnD miniatures - what to buy and why, or even if!
DnD ideas - disjointed inspiration!
Miniature transport - Magnets!
Mold(s) - the good kind!
Warlocks - Good(borrowed) ideas!

Until then, thanks for stopping by :)
Lofty

No comments:

Post a Comment