Saturday, 12 November 2011

Adventures in Gesso pt1 - Test

found some Gesso by chance in a shop in town today, and it's the Bob Ross Acrylic stuff. I've also got my test subject (a one armed Bagh Mari from Infinity) ready. So I scrubbed the test model in warm water etc, and stuck some cork to a base to test soakage from the cork, and a scenic base that I had made up in preparation for Tyrant Radheim when I get back to my Skorne, picked as the sand & cork have been sealed with glue.

Before;











I poured some Gesso into a plastic cup, saw how thick it was and overcompensated with water... The resulting mix was pretty wet when I started on the bases, and by the time I came to the miniature, I'd added enough Gesso back to the mix to be happy with it, but as it was going on it still seemed pretty thin...

Drying;










The coverage is great, even as I'm typing this, I can see the stuff drying every time I glance down. The coverage on the metal is pretty thin, and will require another coat for sure, the cork bases are taking it a lot better I think, and I'll let them dry as they are.

Depending how they all dry out (I'll update tomorrow) I think for next time, I'll leave the mixture a lot thicker for metal mini's. Hopefully though, a second coat will set him right.

So far, Gesso is still winning vs spray priming, the time it takes to faff around spraying miniatures (especially in the evenings after getting home from work) is ridiculous when compared to slapping gesso on them and moving them to one side to dry, no ventilation issues, and even adding a second coat the following night makes little difference, as there will be some nights where perhaps the only time I will get will be sufficient to paint a few guys.

Cheers for stopping by
Lofty

No comments:

Post a Comment