Sunday, 28 April 2013

Doldrums

I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut of late.  What little time I have for hobby in between various social/work related demands seems to be scuppered. Ever sat down with a whole bunch of time ready for hobbying only to find out the previously only once used tube of super glue has dried out? Yeah it isn't fun.

Coupled with the fact that I'm trying to catch up to fully painted again on my Retribution, and no matter how long i spend on some of the half painted models I've had for a while, I can't seem to get them to look right so long after I started to paint them. It's frustrating,and a little depressing if I'm honest.

How do you guys stay motivated to paint? How do you manage to fit your hobby around the rest of your activities?
Help a fellow gamer out of his rut if you can :)

Cheers
Lofty

4 comments:

  1. I registered for AdeptiCon, and that forced to paint, at least for a while. I took a brief hiatus from painting (about a week), but should start up again today or tomorrow. I find that I do better if I have made some public pledge to paint something, and other people hold me accountable to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point, I was very productive when I had the deadline of a local breast cancer brawl tournament to deliver to. I've had some real inspiration from the PrivateerPress forums as well, so I will be posting back this week with some new ideas to keep me productive

      Delete
  2. Same as you I don't get a lot of time, between work and the family. My motivation is insane time limits, for instance I have this morning I am dropping Zander at school and then have 3 hours until my sister is coming round. My time challange is to paint up my woldwarden in that time.

    Admittedly my painting is very tabletop quality, but you get the idea. Set a time, work at it.

    Also, usually when my glue dries out it is only the few millimeters at the end of the nossle, take a pair of snips to it and see if you can't cut the dried part off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought some new glue. don't know how I manage it, but I can't put the stuff down for ten minutes without it drying out :(

    I just need to stop being precious about what I paint and when I reckon, not sure I'll ever be able to be able to bang out quality at speed like you do

    ReplyDelete